SLIPStream May 2018
New GDA2020 schema
The Intergovernmental Committee on Surveying and Mapping (ICSM) is responsible for modernising Australia's datum. Physical locations in Australia are identified using coordinates (currently set by GDA94). Australia is moving 70mm per year, and those coordinates will be out by 1.8 metres by 2020. Migration from GDA94 to GDA2020 is essential for precise real-time positioning and to bring Australia’s coordinates to their correct geographic location.
The change to GDA2020 will affect all organisations using spatial information. The transition period from GDA94 to GDA2020 is open-ended. Agencies may want to wait for their software vendor’s updates that will implement the new datum and transformations.
Meanwhile, GDA2020 implementation is progressing:
- Geoscience Australia is planning to change Regulation 13 coordinates on all their CORS stations to GDA2020 during May 2018. Some commercial CORS providers may also use this date to enable their networks.
- Esri has released ArcGIS 10.6 and ArcGIS Pro 2.1 which include support for the new datum and projected coordinate systems.
- Landgate will shortly update its geodetic systems to enable GDA2020 coordinates on all geodetic marks to all internal and external stakeholders. Implementing GDA2020 in the Spatial Cadastral Data Base (SCDB) and other major Landgate systems and datasets is planned to start in the second half of 2018.
Landgate is looking to upgrade SLIP to a GDA2020 compatible version in the future, and more information about this will be shared once plans are finalised.
Locate is Landgate’s public map viewer that provides free access to the geodetic survey marks layer without the need for user registration.
The geodetic layer is not displayed by default. To switch it on, select the layer list icon on the main toolbar, expanding and checking the ‘Property and Planning’ operational layer and then the ‘Geodetic Survey Marks (Point) (LGATE-076) layer.
Please note that Landgate provides other options to access geodetic marks’ information. For example, you can download Google Earth KML zip file containing a link to all geodetic marks or access them via data.wa.gov.au. Users of the MyLandgate Survey channel are still able to access the geodetic mark information through this portal.
Visit the Landgate website for more detailed information on how to access geodetic marks.
For more GDA2020 resources, please see the ISCM website where you can find fact sheets, technical manuals and GDA products and tools. The Geoscience Australia website also contains helpful information, as does the Online Transformation service.
Landgate Basemap refreshed
Landgate’s Basemap has recently been refreshed with updates from the whole-of-state topographic geodatabase.
The Basemap will be updated on a quarterly basis to ensure a common view of the state for government and industry. It is accessible as a supplementary SLIP subscription service or through Landgate’s MapViewer Plus.
If you aren’t currently accessing this map service through your existing SLIP subscription, please contact email@example.com to have it added.
These upcoming events may interest you:
- Curtin Ignition Information Sessions, Perth, 25 May (Session 1) and 29 May (Session 2) 2018
- Morning Startup, Perth, 30 May 2018
- Curtin Ignition Information Session, Perth, 5 June 2018 (Session 3)
- Director Download: Big Data Boundaries, Perth, 11 June 2018
- Launch Party, AgHack powered by Ministry of Data, Perth, 21 June 2018
- WA Local Government Convention and Trade Exhibition, Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre, 1- 3 August 2018
- National Science Week, 11-19 August 2018
- GovHack, Perth, 7 – 9 September 2018
- Health Hack, Brisbane, 14-16 September 2018
If you have a data-related event that you would like to promote, please email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All SLIP-related events are listed in the SLIP event calendar.
A big thank you to the agencies that have recently made new datasets available on DataWA:
Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions
Geomorphic Wetlands Manjimup to Northcliffe - Unreviewed
Geomorphic Wetlands Leeuwin Naturaliste Ridge and Donnybrook to Nannup
Walpole Wilderness Peat Wetlands - Unreviewed
Forest Management Plan 2014-2023
Geomorphic Wetlands South West - Unreviewed
GDA94 Landgate Project Grids
If you have any queries regarding the data updates, please get in touch at email@example.com.