SLIPStream February 2018
In this issue:
SLIP Classic (Enabler) is now retired
All of SLIP’s data and imagery services have now been consolidated on the new Esri-based SLIP.
To find SLIP data:
- search through data.wa.gov.au. You can also find SLIP data services bundled together as groups on data.wa.gov.au, including OGC WMS/ WFS, Esri REST services and data download packages
- visit Landgate’s website for information on SLIP subscription services.
It’s simple to switch to new SLIP. You will need to update the URLs in your GIS software. Further information is available at data.wa.gov.au/slip. Please note that the new SLIP services contain all the data that has been previously accessible through SLIP Classic.
For help on using SLIP and supplying data, we have redeveloped the DataWA Toolkit as one place to find all of the help documentation, guides, tips, tricks, and FAQs for using data.
Users can check layer and data service details in the data.wa.gov.au catalogue. For example:
For Esri users: Esri token security services will be released over the coming months. If you would like to start connecting to these services now, please contact email@example.com.
Subscribe for SLIP notifications
You can also view further information about the whole data.wa.gov.au service – such as service interruptions, service changes, real-time updates and historical data on system performance – on the webpage.
Whenever possible, SLIP maintenance is scheduled outside business hours to minimise the impact of any outages. If there are any unforeseeable outages, every effort is made to get things running again as soon as possible.
SLIP services modifications
SLIP public services will update throughout February. These updates will complete the Machinery of Government and migration of data from SLIP Classic activities that affect SLIP public services.
Due to the number of changes that need to be made, users may experience more disruption than usual. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Please subscribe to receive notifications via the SLIP Status page for more information and the dates on which these changes will occur.
Here is a summary of services that will update in February. Please note that there will be layer ID and agency code changes for some services:
- Boundaries: minor name change from Department of Water to Department of Water and Environmental Regulation.
- Soil Risk Map: minor name change from Department of Environment Regulation to Department of Water and Environmental Regulation.
- Terrain: minor City of Perth layer change.
- Environment: major layer and attribute change from Department of Parks and Wildlife to Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions, new Department of Water and Environmental Regulation layers, name change from Department of Environmental Regulation to Department of Water and Environmental Regulation and name change from Department of Fisheries to Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.
- Plants and Animals: major World Wildlife Fund layer changes, name change from Department of Parks and Wildlife to Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions.
- Geology and Soils Map: minor name changes from Department of Mines and Petroleum to Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety and Department of Environment Regulation to Department of Water and Environmental Regulation.
- Imagery and Maps: minor name change from Department of Water to Department of Water and Environmental Regulation.
- Industry and Mining: minor name change from Department of Mines and Petroleum to Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.
- Property and Planning: major name changes from Department of Environment Regulation to Department of Water and Environmental Regulation, Environmental Protection Agency to Department of Water and Environmental Regulation, Department of Parks and Wildlife to Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions, and City of Perth and Department of Planning and Office of Bushfire Risk Management (OBRM) layer changes.
- Infrastructure and Utilities: major City of Perth layer change and Water Corporation layer changes.
- Water: minor change to Department of Water layers, changing from Department of Water to Department of Water and Environmental Regulation.
- Transport: major change – Main Roads WA layers removed.
These upcoming GIS and spatial data events may interest you:
- Surveying 2018 Congress, Sydney, 21-23 March 2018
- Locate18-GeoSmart Asia 2018, Adelaide, 8-11 April 2018
- 7th Digital Earth Summit, El Jadida Morocco, 17-19 April 2018
- FME World Tour, Canberra, Melbourne and Perth, 1-10 May 2018
- Perth Data Science Week (formerly Perth Big Data Week), Perth, 14-18 May 2018
If you have any questions about these events or have an event to promote, please email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All SLIP-related events are listed in the SLIP event calendar.
New DataWA toolkit additions
The Open Data team has uploaded new content to the DataWA toolkit:
- Publishing a new geospatial dataset, which charts the steps to create a new DataWA record through from upload to review, release and maintenance.
- Technical guides for data publishers, including:
- Requirements for uploading geospatial data, covering the key technical requirements that geospatial data must meet in order to be uploaded and published through the geospatial Data Upload Tool.
- Uploading geospatial data with the AWS CLI, a guide that covers how to use the Amazon Command Line Tool to automate data uploads to the Data Upload Tool.
- Uploading geospatial data with Python, for Python GIS developers to provide a step by step guide how to integrate Python code and the Esri arcpy library to automate Data Upload Tool data updates.
- Uploading geospatial data with FME, an article to provide FME users a step by step guide how to build an FME workbench that can be used to automate Data Upload Tool updates.
- Preparing geospatial data symbology, covering the key technical requirements that geospatial data symbology must meet in order to be uploaded and published through the geospatial Data Upload Tool.