Why are my rates more than my neighbour?
There may be several reasons why your rates differ from your neighbour:
- Are you both within the boundaries of the same local government area? If not, the rate in the dollar charged by the local council may differ.
- The dwellings may be different. Building area, number of bedrooms, bathrooms, carports and garages affect the Gross Rental Value (GRV).
- Other building and property attributes such as age, construction materials and a below ground pool may affect the GRV.
- Locational attributes such as views and busy roads (for example, one of the houses may be on a corner block next to a busy road) may affect the GRV.
- Even though your property may have a lower GRV, some local councils will have a minimum GRV threshold that is used to calculate rates.
- GRVs are calculated in two methods depending on the property type. This will depend if the property is Land & Building or Land only (no building). Information can be found at GRV.
If you have any further queries, contact the Landgate Customer Service Team.