How can I change or withdraw a valuation objection once lodged?

To make a change, provide further information or withdraw your valuation objection, email

Please provide:

  • your first and last name
  • the property address/es
  • case number – this was provided to you in an email, if you lodged your submission online

If you have any questions please contact Landgate Customer Service.

This page was last updated on: 15 Feb 2021